Literature: A Visual Art

I apologize for my English, I am not a native speake, so please if you have any suggestions 
for this article contact me. I'll be very grateful: estela.agudelo.a @ gmail.com

_______________________________________________________________


After writing the previous note for my blog, I was thinking about the relationship between literature and the world of images. In illustrated books images often speak for themselves; it must be because words invoke images and vice versa. I had always believed that synesthesia is inherent to reader´s experience. For me, literature is a visual expression medium. When someone reads, he is immersed in a mental visual world that allows the experience of emotions and sensations. I think that a good writer is the one who can make readers see the worlds and characters he creates.


During the Book Fair held in October 2010 in Medellín, I was fortunate to know the work of a great writer. She does not use the strategy of the complex story, she have made her everyday life so delighted to my mental eyes, that after knowing her stories I realized that in my family there is also an aunt Chofi, and that sometimes the villains of stories are not so bad. READ MORE

INTERVIEW TO
Vivian Mansour Manzur

Vivian Mansour Manzur, Escritora Mexicana.


This Mexican writer graduated on Communication Sciences at the Iberoamericana University has worked in various media such as radio, television and magazines. Vivian has been sworn in multiple literary competitions and has given workshops and courses related to the promotion of reading. She has worked in the creative area in various advertising agencies and now she is writing full time.


Caratulas de algunos de los libros escritos por Vivian Mansour Manzur.


ESTELA
Why and for what is Vivian Mansour a writer?

VIVIAN
As a child, books accompanied me for many hours. My life - that was fairly conventional -was filled with swordsmen, kings, pirates and texts of all kinds. In my days, children's literature was rather limited. There wasn’t so much variety, and the sort of literature you read was not important. Thus, as a reader of that time, I had access to topics and books of all kinds, not necessarily classified or labeled for children.

I write because I want to share with the readers the joy I experienced when reading. I do not want children losing the wonderful world hiding under the book´s covers. In addition, I write what I would have liked to read as a child.

ESTELA
Your work is almost always accompanied by illustrations, so What do you think about the illustrators work?

VIVIAN
The illustrations are as important as the text with words. A good illustration work can elevate a bad text, but also can ruin a good one. The illustrations - and that's exciting -sometimes flows independently and complementary speech, an advanced reader must also learn to "read" images. Interestingly, although we are in a visual culture, sometimes we are not able to decrypt an image.

ESTELA
Does have the illustrator or the image some effect in your works?

VIVIAN
Rather than influence, my text becomes a work with some three-dimensionality, or rather gives values expanding the ideas. For example, my book called "Familias Familiares" is a story of black humor, and its black and white illustrations made by John Gedovius provide an added value than I would never has imagined.

ESTELA
To write is a career, a profession, an art or a hobby?

VIVIAN
Writing is a profession because all writers aspire to be read and live by our work. But it is a profession sui-generis, an effective combination of art, love and pleasure.

ESTELA
Do you believe in inspiration?

VIVIAN
Yes, there are certain "triggers" that do not appear every day and inspire us to develop a story or have a compulsion to share that excitement and adventure with someone. But inspiration is useless without discipline. Each writer works differently, I like to write a little every day, but there are colleagues who prefer to write sporadically in long sessions.

ESTELA
Do you think that writing serves as a cathartic medium?

VIVIAN
Yes, everyone can write but not everyone can be a writer. However, it is a creative exercise of mental clarity. It is very funny and pleasant sort the ideas and put them in writing. A wonderful example is the Diary of Anne Frank, where sharing her confinement without the aim of publishing it, created an immortal work.

ESTELA
What is the unique signature of your work?

VIVIAN
I do not think that has a unique label, but I can say  that my writing make use of humor, some irreverence, but I think that, above all, I attempt to make honest texts that fully satisfy me as an author. I do not publish much because my stuff has to make me feel happy and proud of myself.

ESTELA
What advice would you give to a young writer eager to start running?

VIVIAN
Anyone who wants to write should read a lot. Try to encode what resources are used by the authors, how they handle rhythm, how are their characters ... And do not cheat trying to introduce messages, morals, or forcing didacticism. Finally, I will transcribe a quote from Helen Dunmore: "Re-read, re-write, re-read, write again. If it still not working, throw it away. It is healthy and you should not feel remorse for the dead pages and poems, who had everything except they life that they needed”. Here is another phrase, "Be your own editor and critic. Close, but relentless. "Joyce Carol Oats.

ESTELA
Do you want to add something else to this interview?

VIVIAN
Yes, first of all, I am grateful to people like you who share their creativity and enthusiasm, opening Internet’s doors to all surfers. We who read this blog are partners, along with you dear Estella, of those who use imagination as a resource to face life. And this never fails!

No hay comentarios: